Sustainability: Wood + Wellbeing
We don’t just pay lip service. We are leading the way in the New Zealand wood flooring and veneer market with third-party environmental accreditations including, Declare Label, FSC, Cradle to Cradle and Floorscore. We choose to partner with reputable manufacturers that share our values – caring for forests, communities and their futures.
New Zealand has committed to be carbon zero nation by 2050 and we are committed to playing at least our fair share to make this a reality and for New Zealand to be a leader on the global stage.
Wood and wood based products are among the most sustainable building products on the planet and have been used for millennia. An ever increasing understanding and respect for this natural resource and how best to both increase its coverage globally and use it for the benefit of mankind while being kind to the planet is a challenge that we want to not only be a part of but a leader in this field. This is a challenge that is about leaving a legacy for future generations and a planet and the built environment that is healthier and more sustainable than it is today.
Taking a look at the impacts of the industry we are in, we found that:
– the building and construction sector accounts for 20% of carbon emissions
– around 40% of landfill material comes from the construction sector
The New Zealand Climate 2020 Report attributes this to ‘a lack of industrial diversity thinking during pre-design, poor selection of green materials during design, inefficient resource handling and management during construction and lack of secondary market for recycled products following demolition.’
Our 2025 Sustainability Goal
VidaSpace’s goal is to have our wood and wood based products to be storing 14,200 tonnes of carbon in the New Zealand built environment in the first 10 years of business*
*Estimate based on 1m3 of wood locks in approx. 1 tonne of CO2
Current C02 Stored
Updated 31st January 2022
Cradle to Cradle (C2C) – Silver
C2C is a globally recognised measure of safer, more sustainable products for the circular economy. To receive certification, products are assessed for environmental and social performance across five critical sustainability categories: material health, material reuse, renewable energy and carbon management, water stewardship, and social fairness. A number of VidaSpace flooring products hold this certification – the only wood flooring in New Zealand with it.
FSC® Chain of Custody (CoC)
VidaSpace has held chain-of-custody certification with auditor SGS from its inception. FSC Certification is a global third-party certification that ensures products come from responsibly managed forests that provide environmental, social, and economic benefits. A large number of VidaSpace products are FSC. VidaSpace FSC CoC Certification: SGSHK-COC-510010.
The PurePlank collection holds Floorscore Certification, developed by the Resilient Flooring Covering Institute (RFCI), which is the most recognised indoor air quality (IAQ) certification standard for hard surface flooring materials, adhesives and underlays. Developed by SCS that tests for emissions of Volatile Organic Compound (VOCs).
Purewood & Havseal
Our supply partners Decospan and Havwoods also have their own stringent internal standards of responsible sourcing and manufacturing practices that do not do harm to others or the environment. Purewood by Decospan outlines 10 principles in their declaration, while Havseal by Havwoods awards points to products according to environment accreditation, the health of the material, the production process, and the materials’ waste generation.
Supply Chain Responsibility & Provenance
It is one thing to tout what we are working on to be an environmentally conscious and sustainably led company but we see it as important to work with supply chains and partners that share our values – caring for forests, communities and their futures. Key things we assess supply chain partners on are:
- Third-party environmental, healthy product and quality certifications
- Sustainable manufacturing processes and initiatives such as solar panels, recycling of wood waste to product energy to power the plant
- Working conditions and staff wellbeing, no slave labour
A lot of our partners are at the forefront of these developments and based in Europe with very stringent environment standards and practices – countries of origin are The Netherlands, Lithuania, Romania, Estonia, Germany, Poland, Belgium, Sweden, France, Croatia and Canada
Current Sustainability Initiatives
100% recyclable flooring, veneer and wall/ceiling products
Recycling waste at our warehouse, showrooms and offices
Some of our products are genuine reclaimed wood
Paper-based r3pack courier bags for sample orders (1000’s per year)
Wood veneer products that produce up to 1250m2 of finished product per 1m3 of raw material
Zero rainforest products from regions such as the Amazon and South East Asia
Natural Oils and water-based lacquer finishes – zero formeldehyde
Zero added formaldehyde MDF panels
Zero formaldehyde adhesives, DPMs and oils
LED lighting in warehouse
Battery electric run forklifts in our Warehouse
The environmental benefits of choosing natural wood products:
- 40m2 of real wood flooring saves as much CO2 as emitted by heating a small apartment for one year
- 80m2 of real wood flooring saves as much CO2 as emitted by producing 27,408 chicken fillets
- 100m2 of real wood flooring saves as much CO2 as emitted by the incineration of 550 bags of rubbish. At a rate of 1 bag per week that’s almost 11 years of rubbish
- 120m2 of real wood flooring saves as much CO2 as emitted by printing 300,000 sheets of paper. That’s printing for 32 hours non-stop
- 250m2 of real wood flooring saves as much CO2 as emitted by watching TV for 7 years constantly
- 500m2 of real wood flooring saves as much CO2 as emitted by travelling around the world 22 times by train
- 1,000m2 of real wood flooring saves as much CO2 as emitted by doing laundry 35,725 times. That means 225 families can do their laundry 3 x a week for a year.
- 10,000m2 of real wood flooring saves as much CO2 as emitted by 575 people having a 10 minute shower every day, for a year. Enough water to fill 8 Olympic size swimming pools
- 10,000,000m2 of real wood flooring saves as much CO2 as emitted by manufacturing 5.5m smartphones – batteries included
- 100,000,000m2 of real wood flooring saves as much CO2 as emitted by 2,500,000 cars driven for a year. That’s like the entire population of Paris driving a car for a year
Locations We Cover
Below is a list of the core locations we cover:
Northland, Kerikeri, Whangarei, Auckland, Waikato, Hamilton, Bay of Plenty, Tauranga, Hawkes Bay, Hastings, Napier, Palmerston North, Kapiti, Wellington, Nelson, Blenheim, Canterbury, Christchurch, Queenstown, Otago, Dunedin, Veneer Panels Northland, Veneer Panels Kerikeri, Veneer Panels Whangarei, Veneer Panels Auckland, Veneer Panels Waikato, Veneer Panels Hamilton, Veneer Panels Bay of Plenty, Veneer Panels Tauranga, Veneer Panels Hawkes Bay. Veneer Panels Wellington, Veneer Panels Christchurch, Veneer Panels Queenstown, Veneer Panels Palmerston North, Veneer Panels Kapiti, Veneer Panels Nelson, Veneer Panels Blenheim, Veneer Panels Otago, Veneer Panels Dunedin.
0800 119 388